Treating Fungal Folliculitis
- Antifungal Cleansers, shampoos and topical products
- Oral antifungal supplements
- Appropriate dietary changes
- Exfoliation – regular but gentle peels
Lifestyle Factors and Things to Avoid
- Discuss with your doctor whether you can stop oral and topical antibiotics. They are not necessary for us to clear your acne and antibiotics can contribute to folliculitis
- Avoid use of very emollient or creamy moisturizers, sunscreens, cleansers, etc.
- Keep the affected area as dry as possible
- For body folliculitis, avoid wearing constrictive clothing or clothing that doesn’t allow skin to breathe. Cotton is best.
- Avoid foods high in sugar, yeast and carbohydrates including alcohol, breads, candy, etc.
- Don’t use fabric softener or harsh detergents on sheets or clothing
- Avoid using hot tubs or taking very hot showers or baths (especially for body folliculitis)
Antifungal Topical Products
- Mandelic Products
- Mandelic Wash or Scrub
- Mandelic Serums
- Primocyn Gel
- Regenepure shampoo or other shampoos 1% or 2% ketoconazole or zinc pyrithione (make sure there are no pore clogging ingredients if you also have acne)
- Propylene Glycol which is in Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion
- Benzoic Acid is anti-fungal which is in Face Reality Salicylic Antiseptic Toner
- Topical zinc oxide can be calming and help skin maintain an optimal PH. Face Reality Ultimate Protection SPF 28 contains 11.6% zinc and is not occlusive.
- Gold Bond powder for body folliculitis to help keep the skin dry
Select one or two and rotate every few weeks:
- Probiotic supplements – good if you have been on antibiotics for a long time. No need to rotate as often as other supplements. Take for several months, then take out of diet for two weeks and start again.
- Pure Encapsulations A.C. Formula II—also good for treating candida and yeast type issues (I have found this supplement to be the most effective.)
- Coconut Oil (or caprylic acid) – taken internally, NOT as a topical product.
- Undecylenic Acid (bioactive nutrients combines this with two antifungals – neem and grapefruit seed oil.
- Olive Leaf Extract
- Neem Oil
- Oil of Oregano
- Apple Cider Vinegar tablets or liquid
- Pau d’arco
- Grape Seed Oil
Thank you to Face Reality for supplying much of this helpful information.