Summer is the time when we create space in our lives for wonderful things to happen. With that fresh-cut-grass smell in the air, we embark on warm-weather adventures and enjoy a whole host of playful summer activities. But warmer temps and more humidity in the air don't always equal tropical bliss. Spending more time in air conditioning can help keep us cool and, unfortunately, dry out our sun-kissed skin. Adding insult to injury, dehydrated skin is also more prone to sun damage! But don't worry your pretty little pores--we have the perfect solution for you.
Gel Hydrators To The Rescue
Dehydrated skin can actually trigger increased oil production, leaving us with something resembling more of a greasy oil slick than a light, summery glow. Add pore-clogging sweat and a little dirt from that bike ride to the equation, and you might wake up with a not-so-sexy breakout. So what's the solution to this summertime dilemma? You guessed it--gel hydrators. And for those who have oily skin no matter the weather, you can keep your gel hydrators working for you year-round as your go-to moisturizer.
Known for their water-like textures and ability to absorb quickly, the best gel moisturizers deliver nourishment and hydration deep into the skin. Lightweight, water-based formulas re-hydrate your skin by creating a moisture barrier that helps bind water to your cells. Active ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate, glycerin, and vitamin C are well-known for their ability to pull water into your skin and keep it there. This is wonderful news for dry skin!
If your skin feels oily and you're wondering why you need to add a moisturizer to the mix, here's a tip. Oily skin needs a moisturizer just as much as everyone else! In fact, that overactive oil production could be your skin's cry for moisture. The great thing about gel hydrators is that they are generally free of the heavy oils found in your creamy face moisturizers. With the right skincare products for your skin type, you can expect to see excess oil virtually disappear as your skin is brought into a healthy balance.
Why Gel Hydrators Could Be Your New Favorite Facial Moisturizer
If you're looking for a few more reasons to add a gel moisturizer to your skincare routine, consider these star tips and highlights:
- Dry skin types love gel hydrators too. Apply a gel to the skin and seal in the moisture with your favorite moisturizing cream or with Sorella Quench & Protect.
- Applying a hydrating gel feels particularly soothing when slathered over a hot sunburn. Store your gel formula in the fridge for just this purpose!
- Gel hydrators are perfect for your pre-workout morning routine. They're light and absorb easily without overwhelming your pores.
- Try a lightweight gel moisturizer underneath your makeup for a dewy, illuminated finish.
- Gels get along with all skin types and play nicely with your other skincare products.
- Water-based gels are translucent, spread easily, and leave your skin hydrated without any sticky residue.
- Acne-prone skin can enjoy a lighter vehicle of hydration delivery without clogging pores.
- Gel hydrators do not interfere with the performance of benzoyl peroxide like regular moisturizers do. This means that you can effectively layer them under BPO products like Face Reality Acne Med and Visual Changes Skin Clearing Gel.
So set aside that cream moisturizer until winter and give your skin a cool, refreshing drink of your favorite moisturizing gel. When it comes to keeping your skin hydrated during the warmer months, gel hydrators have got you covered. Now you can say good-bye to dry and hello to a plump, fresh complexion!
Top 8 Gel Moisturizers for Summer Skin
If you're wondering where to start with gel hydration, here are our AOS top picks for water-based moisturizers from lightest to heaviest: