More and more research is showing that SPF is just not enough when it comes to sun protection. While SPF protects the skin from UVB rays that cause sun burns it does not protect against UVA rays that penetrate deep into the skin and damage your DNA with free radicals. This is why it is essential to also be adding botanical serums to boost antioxidant protection. Here are two of our favorite serums to layer under Quench & Protect to protect your skin from free radical damage and reduce dark pigmentation accumulation.
Melanocytes, pigment cells that lead to dark spots, are triggered as a protective response to harmful free radicals released by UVA radiation. To protect your skin from free radical damage and resulting dark spots, you need to load up on antioxidants. These natural warriors give your skin a powerful photo-protective boost both when applied externally and taken internally.
Sorella Apothecary's Pomegranate Acai Antioxidant Serum is an antioxidant powerhouse. It contains:
- Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate: the most advanced and stable form of vitamin C.
- Tomato Extract: naturally full of vitamin A, C, and K, and folic acid which promotes even pigmentation.
- Licorice root : skin soothing anti-inflammatory skin brightener also helps to heal Post Inflammatory Hyper-pigmentation from past blemishes.
In addition to antioxidants, a consistent regimen targeting hperactive melonocytes can help fade existing spots and prevent futher discoloration. When it comes to fading dark spots, it is hard to beat Sorella Apothecary's Lemon Lightening Serum. It contains:
- Hexylresorcinol: This is hydroquinone alternative is four times more effective than 2% hydroquinone without the side effects, making it super safe for regular use.
- Azelaic Acid: Battle pore-infecting bacteria with a gentle acid while combating hyperpigmentation with reduced melanin production.
- Dermbrite: This compound inhibits melanin synthesis, controlling melanin formation and letting skin shine bright.
- Neem Leaf Extract: Improves skin clarity and brightness while reducing the production of melanin.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Intense hydration plumps thirsty skin cells by binding water to the skin. Minimized appearance of fine lines and wrinkles thanks to smoothed and plumped skin. Well hydrated skin is less prone to hyper pigmentation.
We love layering these serums either before or instead of a moisturizer and then follow with our daily SPF.