I have said this many times before and I will continue saying it because it is so important for your skin: You must change your skin routine with the seasons. Our skin is constantly changing and renewing itself, likewise its needs are also changing and evolving. If you have never changed your skin routine to address seasonal changes, I want to empower you to try adding or switching out a few products this summer. It can seem daunting at first but making just a few simple changes can make a big difference. To help you make these changes I am providing you with five simple ways you can adjust your routine for summer. I will also go over how you can adjust your skin routine within an acne regimen. Finally, I am sharing with you my current skin care routine for Summer. You can use this as inspiration for your own routine or follow it as is. You can also check out my winter routine HERE if you would like to see how it has changed.
Five Ways to Adjust Your Skin Routine for Summer
- Don’t use acid in your morning routine (unless you are one of my acne clients). Check your cleanser, toner, serums and moisturizers to be sure that you are not applying any alpha or beta hydroxy acids to your face in the mornings. Alpha and beta hydroxy acids include glycolic, mandelic, lactic, and salicylic acid. These acids will interact with the sun and compromise your skin barrier health. Mild acids such as citric, azelaic, and benzoic acid are fine for summer use.
- Add products to your routine that boost your skin's immune system. This includes products that contain pre and probiotics, ferments, stem cells and growth factors. These ingredients help boost the resiliency of your skin. Skin that is strong and non-reactive is better able to handle the stressors of our sunny summer environment. My favorite powerhouse serum with ferments is Visual Changes Resurrection. This serum is loaded with ferments, peptides and growth factors. Simply add a squeeze of Magic Vita Snow Powder and you have your bases covered for summer. Among my favorite products that contain ferments are: Visual Changes Resurrection, Hale & Hush Vital Lipids, Rhonda Allison Sea Gems, MVC Serum, Age Less and Le Mieux TGF B and EGF DNA Serums.
- Add Antioxidants to your daily protocol. If you are not already using an antioxidant complex, now is the time to add one. These serums help protect the skin from free radical damage and resultant premature aging. Sorella Pomegranate Acai Antioxidant Complex with its whopping 20% vitamin C, contains the most advanced forms of vitamin C available. This serum does not oxidize or turn brown! If you are using an antioxidant serum, boost it with an extra dose of vitamin C. I love the Dr. Esthe Magic Snow Vita C Booster Powder. This powdered form of vitamin C does not oxidize and can be added to any serum or moisturizer. Many clients that love Rhonda Allison Antioxidant Complex, love to boost it with the Magic Snow.
- Minimize the formation of dark spots with key serums. In the summer months, I exchange my morning toner for Viktoria De’Ann Pepti Correct HP Serum (you must be logged in to see this item on the website). Apply this serum to clean dry skin and wait 2 minutes before applying anything else. This gives the peptides in this serum time to communicate with your skin to balance the production of melanin.
- Reduce your skin reactivity to the sun, hyperpigmentation, redness and inflammation by adding Sorella Lemon Lightening Serum to your daily routine in the AM and PM. This multi-tasking serum contains Hexylresorcinol which is safer and 4 times more effective than 2% hydroquinone. It also contains anti-inflammatory and hydrating ingredients, perfect for nourishing and protecting your skin from dehydration and sun damage.
Adjusting an Acne Routine for Summer
If you are Acne Prone, please stick with your prescribed routine. However, you can add or substitute these things for summer:
Lemon Lightening Serum can be used in place of Bion Pure Hydration, Le Mieux Hyalruonic Serum or Face Reality Hydrabalance.
Or you can turn your hydrating gel into an antioxidant complex by adding Magic Snow Vita Powder to Bion Pure Hydration, Face Reality Hydrabalance, Le Mieux Hyalruonic Serum, Sorella Lemon Lightening Serum, or Bion Oily Free Hydrating Lotion.
If you find that your usual hydrating gel is not providing enough moisture, try Bion Oil Free Moisturizing Gel boosted with Magic Snow Vita Powder. This is a gel lotion that can be used under your Acne Med. It feels very luxurious on the skin and boosting it with the Magic Snow adds antioxidant protection and more hydration. Vitamin C is a humectant that helps dehydrated skin.
All of the serums mentioned can be used alone, under a moisturizer or sunscreen or under your Acne Med.
Jeana's Summer 2018 Skin Routine
Finally, what you have been waiting for. Here is my personal summer protocol.
Serum: Viktoria De’Ann Pepti Correct HP Serum – apply and wait 2 minutes (you must be logged in to view this item on the website.)
--If I have a left-over sheet mask, this is when I use it--
Pigment Protection: Sorella Lemon Lightening Serum -1 pump
Antioxidant Protection: Sorella Pomegranate Acai Antioxidant Serum – 1 pump
Moisturize: Sorella Blueberry Milk Moisturizer
Protect: Sorella Quench & Protect mixed with Illuminare Liquid Mineral Makeup Mattifying Formula in Florentine Fair
Cleanse: Sorella Apricot Mango Cleansing Milk using the My Skin Buddy or the DermaRed.
Serum: Sorella Facial in a Bottle
Moisturize: Sorella The Balm
To clean dry skin, apply Sheet Mask. Infuse with MSB or DermaRed for 5 minutes. Allow mask to remain on skin for 15 more minutes. Remove Mask and retain for future use (may be reused 3 to 4 times over the period of one week). Use the MSB or DermaRed to infuse the remaining serum for 5 minutes, spreading and infusing onto the neck and chest area as well.